Nestled in the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula, Qatar in recent decades has witnessed enviable milestones spurred by its abundant oil and gas resources, amidst the current thrust to nurture a knowledge-based economy towards sustainable development. Its current stature, built through the vision of the Father Emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, and with the recent accession of his son, the Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar is poised to further build on its not-so-recent-past and present successes and accolades in the international community.
1. Host, 2022 FIFA World Cup (the first Middle Eastern country to host The World Cup).
2. Home to Hamad International Airport and Qatar Airways, Qatar’s flagship and one of the best airlines in the world, among others
- Best Airport in the World 2021 (August) – by Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021
- Airline of the Year 2021 (July) – by AirlineRatings
- 5-Star COVID-19 Airline Safety Rating – by Skytrax; first global airline in the world to achieve this prestigious award.
3. 17th globally in the Competitiveness Index (among 64 countries) by the Global Competitiveness Year Book for 2021 issued annually by the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Switzerland.
4. 50th globally in World Bank’s 2020 Human Capital Index (of 174 countries) along with UAE (44th) and Bahrain (47th).
5. 68th globally in Global Innovation Index 2021 (of 132 economies).
6. 42nd globally in 2021 Network Readiness Index (of 134 countries).
7. Qatar Investment Authority ranked 10th largest sovereign wealth fund by Statista.